Sunday, February 7, 2016

The blends

Last Friday. It was around 5 pm. I was starving.
I guess the roads could have been worse because it had been snowing heavily since early in the day, and the roads were already slushy. I was not happy to walk outside into the wet snow in the morning. 
But unexpectedly, the snow made the world so beautiful.
I forget my hunger so easily while enjoying walking around.
Nature has the power to make us attractive without reasons.


I feel that music also has the similar power too.
I'm attracted and moved quickly without reasons when meet great musicians or amazing music.

On the same night, I was in Sander's theatre to watch a concert by String quartet, Brooklyn rider, and singer-song writer, Gabriel Kahane, who has positioned himself amongst the vanguard of genre-bending song-writers. The program was quite interesting, the concert covered a range of works influenced by rock, pop and world music. Bridging the old and new, Schubert's string Quartet in A major, op. 29 was also performed, the movements being strategically scattered amongst the modern works, which I found artistically effective, and interesting to observe how the programming paralleled Kahane's musical style, a style in which he demonstrates his ability to combine elements of many different genres. Each genre-element used like spice in a recipe to create his unique sound. For example, in one work he combined electric guitar, singing, and piano as well. All sounds he made, including his warm and soft voice with a hint of sadness, was effective in fitting with the tone of the lyrics, all enhanced by the quartet's shimmering harmonies.
 

Brooklyn rider played "Bradbury studies for string quartet" composed by Kahane, and based on his song. It involves a plethora of styles, with passages of Schoenberg-like chromaticism, intermingling with phrases of Ivesian humor. This piece left a strong impression on me and I now consider it one of my favorite works.